Re: Linux and Orca

Anbro, for all intents and purposes you are still a newbie to Linux and for that reason I would recommend you stick with Vinux for the time being. The reason is that it is stable, the packages are being updated and maintained through the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS repository, and the accessibility is configured for you out of the box. Plus a lot of work has gone into making Speakup, the console screen reader available to you, which really comes in handy for playing interactive fiction, for playing muds, and anything else that requires a console interface.

With Ubuntu Gnome it is a good distribution, but a lot of the software is bleeding edge and hasn't been well tested. Therefore you are likely to get some broken packages as far as accessibility goes and I think at this point testing would be the least of your concerns right now.

Wanderer, glad to here about Firefox 29. Perhaps I'll give it a go when I update my Linux systems to the latest version of Ubuntu Gnome. I am really  hoping for some progress with Firefox because it is a good browser, but still has a few accessibility issues I wish Mozilla would address as soon as possible.

Chris, have you ever tried Pico? That is a free alternative to Espeak and sounds better than Espeak or Eloquence. So if you ever try Linux again try Pico. If I am not mistaken Pico comes installed on Vinux 4.0 so should be just a matter  of changing speech synthesizers in Orca.

As far as running Vinux on a Mac I don't believe you can run it in BootCamp. However, you can use VMware Fusion or VMware Workstation to run it on Mac systems.