Re: What Are Your Views on Family

@Dan_Gero, nice topic and I do hope it gives you some insight.  I think the sad fact is that most adult members in a family never know how to express themselves properly when it comes to addressing the children especially.  The issue becomes that much worse when the child be addressed is the only one with a disability or what the rest of the family might see as an abnormality.
My mother, father, brother, sister and I hardly ever talk anymore.  Once I moved I moved and that was that.  My mother favors my brother; my father favors my sister.  It's never said; it's the unspoken fact and way of things.  How do I know?  Because while I've managed to start a successful family of my own, stick by them and always take care of them, never been in a debt I couldn't get out of, never asked my parents for help, never depreciated any help they have given me out of their own free will, never thrown away money just because I had it, I'm still the one they strongly critique.  ON the other hand?  My brother can go off and gamble, leave his 6 kids behind with other people, lose his jobs every two or three months, not talk to my mom out of anger for months and then come back and beg for favors because he knows she'll say yes... I'm sure you're seeing where I'm going with this.
As for my dad?  His excuse for everything is, and I quote, "I may be the way I am, but I still love you."  He says it with such conviction that I honestly think he believes what he says, but I feel like it's just a smokescreen for much of what he's done.  I strive not to be like him; I have no true rolemodel when it comes to being a father myself which I suppose is a sad thing, but I do try.