Re: what are your thoughts on BSG's new blog post?

I wholeheartedly agree with the blog post. There's definitely a trend of people just taking someone elses concept and recreating it with minor changes when it'd be much better to expand upon those ideas instead. A lot of people are saying that he's bashing simple games and I don't think that's the case. Simple isn't the same as reusing an idea which is what he really had a problem with. Also, there is truth behind the comments about everyone receiving praise for the same overused concepts. I think the reasons for someone making a game matter. If you're simply doing it for the praise, don't do it because chances are that you won't feel the need to be original because like the author said, people will play anything. If, on the other hand, you're doing it because of the praise and you actually want to make something unique, go for it. I often here the excuse that there's no concepts left to use and it's just that, an excuse. Sure, maybe you can't really do too much expanding on mechanics because yes, audio games do have more limits than mainstream ones, but the idea behind the game can make a big difference. I've seen several topics made on this forum by devs looking for ideas and the community has always had plenty but rarely are those ideas turned into something new. I hear the argument that people making free games do not owe the players anything and I agree but at the same time it's sad to see the lack of creativity and laziness when it comes to audio games. With that said, constructive criticism is for sure better than just saying this game sucks and giving no reasons, people need to know what to improve on. Perhaps the author could've worded the post better but I agree with the general sentiment.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xvordan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Allie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ross via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : boy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector