Re: latin

Kamochek, I believe the word you are looking for is tithe. To tithe is to collect money for the church by passing around a plate or having a donation box where the congregation can give money to the church for various things.

The other word is communion. To take communion is to drink wine and to eat bread to symbolize the body and blood of Christ.

Dark, very interesting. I knew the Church of England was similar to Catholic services in many ways but I had no idea they were that close. A lot of what you described is similar to my own experience in Catholic services I attended when I was Catholic.

I did forget to mention the priest would often make announcements at the beginning of the service of upcoming weddings and other church news, but I think my post above was intended to give Kamochek a basic overview of a typical Catholic mass rather than a minute by minute run down of every little detail. Some things like church announcements are so common that I guess that slipped my mind when describing a basic service.

However, I agree the Christmas Eve masses were definitely the best. They were always held the evening before Christmas at night time so the church was dark except for the candles that were lit which was a completely different atmosphere than the typical Wednesday night or Sunday morning masses. Of course they sung Christmas carols like Joy to the World, Silent Night, Oh Holy Night, and Handle's Messiah. Just thinking about it brings back some very happy memories of the smell of candle wax, incense, and the sound of the organ as people sang Christmas carols.