Re: My forum, a work in progress

Everybody and their grandmother seems to have either a TeamTalk server or a forum (at least, around here anyways). I don't have much to say on the matter of whether or not it will take off, but consider this: while making either of these two things might not pan out to be the next billion-dollar startup, having the experience of doing it is invaluable and could lead to something bigger and better down the road.
I offered a TeamTalk server some time ago. Back then, it was useful for me and my friends. Nowadays, there are other better options for conference-calling and telecommunication that it's a bit unnecessary to ever think about using TT again; however, that experience gave me a tremendous leg-up on my computer-science peers. I became familiar with Linux, how to navigate it through command-line, the secure-shell protocol, and some basic understanding of working in a (cough cough) developing environment. You'd be surprised how many students come into either IT or CS who apparently have this nasty allergic reaction to the CLI and absolutely must do everything in a GUI. Sure, tooling can make it tremendously easier to work in projects, but only after you've gotten programming down to at least a proficient level would it make sense to add the bells and whistles for fine-tuning the development process.
This made certain classes easier. I could talk with more people about stuff I was learning. It allowed me to just be a more well-rounded enthusiast in the field.
Tangent aside, this could help anyone in the long run. I recognize there are tons of folks with some pretty strong opinions on the legitimacy of creating the world's trillionth forum, but I think it's important to consider the value of pursuing projects like this.