Re: Alternative To Dropbox

Hi
To bring this topic back to the main page, i struggled with something similar to this a while ago.
I came up with this, and it builds on fastfinge's idea.
First, i started with a BTSync folder.
(before i go further, i want to point out that, while i did want dropbox like functionality, i also wanted access to, and the ability to sync my huge library.)
OK. I started with BTSync, sharing what ever folders i wanted from my documents and library.
Then, i added in an apache server, that allowed me to give out links. I eventually aliased /public, and put in an index.html to keep people from getting an index of the public folder.
i also added a /library alias so i could stream and download what i wanted.
Now at this point, i had BTSync syncing folders like books to my other laptops, and i was also able to give out links to the public folder and others.
I then added an FTP, so i could upload from wherever and they all use the same direc tory structure. so, if i put in a file to a folder that is synced, it will sync over, and i can later give out a public link to it. I can also log in to the FTP, and upload just as easily, though of course there is no synchronization.
Now this may seem overly complicated to you guys, and it probably is, but it suits my needs perfectly. Sertain small folders sync to my laptop and i can add or remove things, and there mirrored on my server.
Now, there are a few drawbacks to this, the main one being, you need a server.
But, since you mentioned you have a mac mini (which can be an excelint little headless server), you can do this, or adapt it to you rneeds.
But, if you're mainly going for the storage and synchronization as well as public links way, i would think that maybe a BTSynced public folder on your PC aliased to /public on an apache instalation would give you the public link part. As for the storage, Filezilla seems all that u need, and the FTP server t hat i use is just an extra touch if you want others to be able to upload with out giving them full access to a BTSync.

Again, that probably seems overly complicated, but i found it works quite well for me.
Hope that helps.