Re: Alternative To Dropbox

There is also this:
http://sparkleshare.org/
been on my big list of stuff to check out at some point for a while now. Apparently it's a dropbox clone built using git as the backend.

As for file sharing, the way I handle it is to have a public BTSync folder on my linux server. That folder is owned by the apache user, and all the contents are served as an apache virtual host. A BTSync instance also runs as the apache user, to write files there.  Anything I want to share with the world gets dumped into the BTPublic folder on my local machine, and then BTSync moves it off to Linux and all I have to do is share the web address to my file.  BTPublic happens to be replicated on servers in Toronto, Ottawa, Markham, and Texas, so I give out the link closest to the person I expect to be downloading the file.  I can get at BTPublic via SFTP/HTTPS, so it also makes a good way to add files to my iPhone.