Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

I feel the same about both alcohol and drugs.
Since alcohol sales are state or federal, and are essentially regulated on some level, they're shutting them down for a really simple reason.

Some people are absolutely going to be violent with or without intoxicants. No doubt about that.
But there's a large group of people who, when their inhibitions are down, may become violent or, at the very least, uninhibited and unpredictable.
So let's say out of a group of a hundred folks.
Ten don't drink at all. Even if alcohol is available, they're not a part of the equation.
Of the ninety who do drink, let's say twenty or twenty-five of them might get violent or irrational without booze. But with enough intoxication, all ninety can and will become irrational eventually.

Rather than treat alcohol as a guaranteed problem, people are treating it like a wild card. And that's because it is one.
I know folks who'll just have a glass of wine, or a beer or two, and won't bother anybody. But think of what folks are doing in shops when they're sober. Do you really want a bunch of tanked-up dudes running amok after stockpiling liquor and deciding to go out for a rip? I shudder to think what might happen there. Looting, property damage, fights, and generally speaking, just more chance for the virus to spread.

So as annoying as it is, I don't blame them stopping the sale of alcohol. that is one thing they can control; once it dries up, that's one angle of intoxication that becomes a whole lot harder to indulge in.

But let me be clear: I feel generally the same way about all intoxicants in this situation, not just alcohol. If you're getting high on pot, shrooms, acid, whatever your item of choice is, you're a potential threat to yourself and others, depending on how you go. So I mean, if you wanna stay home and spark one up, go for it I suppose. Just enjoy responsibly. And understand that your supplies probably won't last forever.