Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

I think we beat ourselves up too much when we think months ahead into the future, albeit it's a very natural thing for people to do. Remember, this is unprecedented, so we don't know what to expect in the coming days, weeks, or even months. Saying it could last until May or June doesn't really give perspective on a timeline, even though it definitely could be the case.
As far as areas that haven't been affected as dramatically as the US, Italy, Spain, etc, they were far more prepared and quick to respond than practically anywhere else on Earth. Taiwan and South Korea have had the lowest number of cases of infected and deaths resulting from COVID19, so their maneuvers earlier on is what prevented them from being so harshly impacted like the US. After the SARS outbreak of 2003, Taiwan in particular set out to brace itself for the next pandemic. It arrived late last year, and if I'm not mistaken, the number of overall cases was less than 75 with only 1 death.
Read into how South Korea handled the outbreak. It's pretty fascinating what they've done with thermal imaging and how they were successfully able to provide tests.
Suffice it to say that our complacent attitudes left us highly vulnerable to not only spreading the virus so rapidly, but also having to adjust to a new way of life while taking huge blows to the economy and other infrastructures. Note too, that the countries who handled this predominantly well are much smaller than places like the US. Taiwan has a population of 23 million, while we sit at well over 300 million. You constantly hear on the news that the US has overtaken China in most number of cases, which is pretty common sense when you figure in that we're the third largest country in the world. More people, more contact, more spread.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector