Re: I Have to Use Jaws For a Few Hours, and Here Are My Thoughts

So, I had to use JAWS a few days ago because PDF's are awful but everyone uses them and I was asked to make them read better. So, after buying Adobe whatever Pro to convert them with the "standard" tools and not just free software that obviously doesn't know as much about PDF as Adobe, converting them to word format, and opening them in Word, I found that NVDA did not know where the images in the file are.

In my line of work, and indeed, in life, I'm finding that I don't have time for sentimental loyalty to one brand, or even one ideology when it comes to software. So, I gritted my teeth and felt sorry for the pain I would inflict upon my poor $500 computer which, even though it does have 8 GB of RAM, I suspect its CPU isn't as well endowed. Perhaps I could get Endowment (https://coppermind.net/wiki/Endowment) to give a breath or two to it? smile

So, I got the free sponsored version of JAWS, active until June 30th or so, and found that yes, JAWS could tell where the pictures are. It couldn't tell me if the pictures overlap with text, but at least I got my work done.

I am not, of course, abandoning NVDA. I will just about always use that. But goodness, especially in document editing, JAWS simply works better.