Re: Dart

@7
The thing is, all the tooling exists.  It's maybe a bit harder to get started with Webpack or something, but templates for it are a dime a dozen and no one actually modifies script URLS by hand anymore.  You just aren't looking in the right places.  Autoreload, fixing browser compatibility, linters, etc. are all available via _javascript_, and if you go Typescript you get compile-time errors and all the typing stuff you're talking about.

I'm not saying don't use Dart.  As I've already said Dart is actually quite good for mobile apps, and it's not like their web support is immature or anything.  And I can see how Dart makes it easier to get started, just because it's very much easier to not go down old JS rabbit holes that have you manually writing script tags, and you don't have to learn how to set up a few things.  But for the web, it doesn't bring much new to the table, if anything.  They're bothering with it because it lets you share a codebase with your native app, not because they really want to revolutionize web apps (though they could, since they're in a position to compile to webassembly).

If Dart ever supports native apps on Windows accessibly, I'll probably jump aboard the Dart train then.  Having something that can make accessible UIs on all the things would be kind of incredible.

I want to be really clear that I'm not saying you should leave it.  It's not going anywhere.  It's not some sort of BGT for the web that's going to get dumped in a year.  You can probably even get some really good jobs with it.  I'm just making the point that it's not doing anything we didn't already have for the web (though obviously it does more for native apps) and that the tradeoff is that you are giving up on a more mature ecosystem for a gain in ease of use at the beginning.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector