Re: Monthly Chat - May, 2020

@Wing of Eternity, I'm a staff reviewer for the site www.fantasybookreview.co.uk, you can Find my book reviews here.

Though I often consult goodreads to read other people's opinions, I don't tend to write reviews there, or look too much, since I get so sick of the large quantity of completely uncritical "five stars, this is a good book with good words and you should read it because the story is good", type of comments, or indeed the opposite when something just gets bashed for no reason, albeit it seems these days (possibly I suspect because far more authors are giving out free copies of books in return for reviews), uncritical positivity is far more common than uncritical negativity.
Those reviewers I tend to look at regularly tend to either write for more serious websites, or have their own blogs etc.

This is why when I write reviews, I try to be as honestly critical as I can,say what I liked, and what I didn't, and try to give reasons based on at least potentially understandable criteria, EG writing style, plot, characters etc.

Bag of bones is going to be good, I read it as a teenager, and  interesting to read now I'm actually married, it's also one of my lady's favourite King books.

I'll certainly be doing my own review when we've finished it.

One problem I do have, is that as my copy  game of thrones on dvd is not audio described, I'm having to watch each episode first, then listen to the audio description. Because of this, I'm tending to listen to the audio descriptions at the points when I'd otherwise sit down and read. So, I'll be writing a review for Juliana Baggot's book fuse, which I just finished, but I'll probably be doing game of thrones season 2 before starting something else.
Then again, I usually do either collections of short stories, or audio dramas between books, to give me time to compose reviews, so it isn't too unusual.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fawazar94 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector