Re: Question about Quality of Delight Games Books

With delight games yes, their stuff is more game and less book, though has a bit more actual resource management and rpg like choices. Maybe that is why I've played fewer delight titles I'm not sure.

On political correctness, whilst I agree with Bookrage that history was rarely as monolythic as it appears, what I mind more in the cog titles particularly, is the way that your choices of gender or sexuality are so dynamic they make no actual difference to the character or their situation, even in times when they should do so.

I wouldn't mind playing through the odyssey as a female Odysseus, but give me a reason for it. Maybe in that version of the story, Penelope did a Mulan and went off to war to spare her husband disguised as a man. She'd have to cope with being the only woman in a largely male army, and maybe some of her responses to situations would be different (for example, perhaps the sirens would have a harder time tempting her, if she were straight).

or maybe, if Odysseus was gay, his partner went with him to war, and Odysseus would need to protect him through the various adventures; indeed, monkeying with Greek myths would be the perfect place for a gay protagonist, given how much the Greeks encouraged gay relationships, especially between warriors, (Achilles and Patroclus were definitely gay).

that! would also be a story I'd be interested in playing.

however, this sort of bland protagonist, who is really not one thing or the other, and for whom gender and sexuality are essentially just hair style choices just feels disconnected to me, that aside when an author has a particular gender in mind and just dragoons people into other choices (I was rather amused that in creatures such as we, your always asked what level of makeup to wear, even if your a straight guy).

Of course, if an author can! make the stories sufficiently different, or give characters good enough relationships no matter what their gender and/or sexual preference that's awesome; I've mentioned before how much I liked the occasion in zombie exodus when my female character ended up in a relationship with another lady, just because even though I'd not specifically set out to play a "gay", character, it just worked given the previous interactions, and was a romance I was totally behind.

Then again, this is one area where I think the Hosted games score over the cog titles, since hosted games do not need to tick each and every protagonist box, however briefly to get through.