Re: The Synthizer Thread

@35
I don't mind BSD/MIT either, I just don't want to be someone's dependency of a dependency.  Sometimes the trade-off with respect to that is worth it, but there is literally no source of high quality DSP code I can think of offhand that's not (L)GPL, and there's a lot of value (for myself and others) in being able to just yank bits out for other projects (like my hypothetical speech synthesizer).  If there were other worthwhile things to pull DSP code from I'd be a bit less strict on this but there's not: it's either cryptic in the extreme without comments, licensed under the (L)GPL, or slow because it's educational. Usually all 3 (you would think educational and cryptic without comments wouldn't happen. You would be wrong in this case).  My hypothetical networking solution will have BSD stuff in it if/when I get that far.

Someone needs to take on the tooling required to let everyone put "This bla bla bla notice must be included in all substantial portions of the software" in the software without auditing the entire dependency graph, but somehow no one has, at least not outside the commercial space.

For Ambisonics, look at Resonance.  They have an implementation in jS that is (mostly) fine.  Ambisonics actually turns out to be a big disappointment though because in the typical manifestation you don't get the interaural time difference.  A sighted person would never notice, but if you're listening to ambisonics demos and you're like "Huh, that's kind of low quality"--well, it is.  But I think you can get around it by just running 2 decoders and computing the ITD yourself.  Resonance also has some coefficients, but it's seemingly not possible to duplicate the process they used to build them without running afoul of a noncommercial use only HRTF dataset that Google somehow got permissions to use and I am not entirely clear on what the license of those coefficients are if separated from the library, so I've decided not to touch them with a 10 foot pole for now.