Re: Creating a code free RPG using Sable(video 14), by Ebon Sky Studios

Yeah, generally in mainstream games this type of battle ends when all participating party members are defeated, but instead of the usual game over function you would have the cutscene that would advance the story. Then in situations when the battle could theoretically be won with proper preparation, there would be a cutscene that would still set the story up. So if you were fighting a pure antagonist, he or she might still hit you with a powerful attack that knocked you down. Or if we were taking Paul's description where it was just an NPC testing your abilities, they might actually congratulate you. If you lose like the story says they might say something like I see your potential. Then if you did manage to win they might say something like I'd hate to be your enemy!