Re: Recommended 2020 Laptops?

Yeah I can second that recommendation, and Lenovo has sales all the time for any possible reason they can think of.  The next one being independents day, then the back to school sales probably, which is good because their customization options are overpriced.
You can always use Aira or possibly the Microsoft Tech Support option through Be My Eyes to help you with the Bios after Googling the method.  It can be a bit confusing in there sometimes but you could always give the agent a link to the page with the info about how to do it, which should have screenshots they can look at.
Also, hitting function plus escape does temporarily switch modes on most laptops, at least until a restart.
I would suggest the Dell XPS line too, just keep in mind that you'll probably want to replace the sound drivers that come with it with generic realtech ones instead.
Both companies give you a fair amount of bloatware, which is common across the industry, and some of it can be useful at times.  You could always do a preemptive fresh reinstall if you want to get rid of that though.
The HP Envy Series is another good option, but the phone support is worse and there is more bloatware, both of which can be gotten around quite easily.

For the price your willing to pay, you should be aiming  for at least a 4 core 10th generation Intel I7 processor or at least an 8 core AMD Ryzen 7 4000 series processor, at least 8GB of RAM and at least a 512GB SSD.  A lower end dedicated graphics card isn't out of the picture either.
If you don't need the extra resolution, you can always save money by going with a cheaper screen, which will also give you better battery life.  In addition, you can get a lower capacity SSD if the option is available, and store most of your big files on an external harddrive or the cloud, though note that SSD's get slightly slower as you step down in size.
Of course, either way it's going to be much, much faster than a traditional harddrive.
If you can get 16GB of RAM you should, that way your computer can keep up for longer and you won't have to pay for a new one as soon, or deal with upgrading it later your self.