Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

665, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Now, the question is how does one define essential. I mean, here in Pennsylvania we've had places like barber shops shut down, but liquor stores are open. I think we're all familiar with the _expression_ "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". That principle also seems to apply to what might be considered essential vs nonessential businesses and services.

Ethin, thanks for providing those stats. Not only did I find that interesting, but very helpful. I think I know where Jade and I are having issues here now. Jade is coming at this in terms of the number of known cases. I am looking at things from the perspective that looks at things in terms of the entire population. When you do that, the statistics do look different. There are in the neighborhood of 11,000,000 known cases worldwide now. I'll grant that this is a big number, but when the world population is several billion, it is a very, very small percentage. This has been my approach on this thing, and I sincerely apologize for not having made that clear from the get-go. I just feel that when you have over a billion people whom this hasn't touched, that there is no cause for alarm. Yes, there is good reason to practice goo hygiene, and I always make it a point to do just that.
A point was made about not being served at restaurants if you don't wish to wear a mask. That's a very dumb move for those establishments if they wish to keep their businesses open. Say you want to go out to eat on your own, with your family, or on a date with someone. You want to eat in the restaurant. Guess what, you're going to have to take the blasted mask off in order to eat or drink. They'll tell you to eat quickly so you can mask back up, but that isn't healthy either because eating quickly is scientifically proven to be bad for digestion. So, policy or not, you're going to have about twenty or thirty minutes where you're not going to be wearing that mask. The virus would spread anyway, so again it doesn't make sense. Also, if restaurants aren't going to serve you simply because you won't wear a mask, that screams segregation and discrimination. Personally, if a restaurant won't serve me because of it, then I'll go somewhere that will or I will just cook as they obviously don't need my business that much.