Re: localhost refused to connect

I'm suggesting that they consider whether they want to.  If the goal is to be a learning project, it doesn't matter.  If the goal is to be useful then you need to know what your target audience is and what you offer that no one else with years of development under their belt has.  And when you do decide on a feature, say "everyone can post a video", figuring out why no one else does that goes a long way to telling you if you can do it and how much effort it'll be.

To use Synthizer as an example, my answers were that the audience is indie game developers.  I can offer a modernized and cross-platform API that's not tied to an engine or proprietary, clean and modern code, and better HRTF than most things on the market.  No one else has done it because the knowledge is incredibly rare and requires more than just knowing how to program, Unity and Steam have enough of the market that no one has been bothered, sighted people don't care about HRTF enough to demand it from people but like it once it's in front of them, large studios can shell out $10000 or more per title to buy something like wwyse, and most people care about graphics and treat audio as an afterthought.

This scopes the project.  There's a reason to hope for users.  If someone asks me why Synthizer I can give them a good answer.  There's no technical blocker to the features I want to offer, just social ones and people having different priorities.

An hour or two with Google can often give you answers to all 3 of these.  Whether you find answers that you like, and whether or not the answers that you do find are sufficient to make the project worth it to you, that's up to you.  If you have 5 things you could do instead and already know how to program, bad answers will stop you; if you're bored and just trying to learn, the worst answers in the world may still make it worth it.  That's your call.  I'm not saying overthink it, or debate for days.  But thinking about this now when discussing what is a months-long to years-long project saves a lot of pain and frustration, can stop you being in a position a year from now where you have no users and are frustrated, and can scope things so that you don't continually go off track adding whatever seems a good idea in the moment.