developing a singular verses plural grammar system in your game

Hi. My game does not have online support yet, but I would still like to make a clean system for if or when that time does come. When the user is given a message, it will either say:
you have found this, or, they/character name has found this.
It could also say:
you are going to, or, they/character name is going to.
In the bgt version, I solved this by creating a variable such as is_are, has_have, and depending on certain conditions it would set that variable value. Each time a player took their turn, it would look for, is this an online game, and is it your turn. It then gave the appropriate values for the next round. This system worked, but it was hard to read, and it had to be reset each round. Is there a better way I can do this? Like with a dictionary or something?