Re: AirPuck - A Multiplayer Air Hockey Game

I'm sorry about the tone of the last post, but I do feel it was warranted. I didn't mean to hurt you, but I did want to make sure it got through to you, which most things don't seem to do. You say the random thing is fine, but it's not how air hockey works. The air on the table is only to reduce friction. While it may move a bit if you just sit the puck on the table, it's not going to randomly change directions, or let you score in your own goal, etc. Both of your versions are just not correct, I'm sorry but it's true. Now, if that's good enough for you, OK, it's your game and that's fine, but it's not how air hockey works.

You say you used to have a table, OK then. You know that you put the puck down in the table, someone goes first, and from there, it never stops until someone scores. The puck doesn't change directions on its own, and it never goes slow enough where the phenomenon that you describe where the air could possibly move it would take effect. We're talking about a reduced friction environment with inertia and momentum.

I'll have to take your word for it about how much you needed Mohamed, I'm going based off of observations, and it did seem like he was doing some clean up work on the game.

This is where a design process comes into play. Have you tried Ear hockey from Microsoft Garage? It's a free audio game. While you could definitely say it's got its weird aspects, it also does the puck movement very well.

What I'm trying to get you to see is that by going ahead with this without proper planning, you now have a game with a malfunctioning puck. This could have been avoided if you would have gone through a more rigorous design process instead of writing code. Also, so as not to sound like my shit doesn't stink, I do the same thing and often come up against the consequences of improper planning when I have to refactor or re-write code.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Deathstar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Deathstar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Shiro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Shiro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : burak via Audiogames-reflector