Re: learning braille music

While I think learning by ear is far easier than memorizing through reading, I feel it is important to learn to read the music yourself as an additional tool in your toolkit.

The book How to Read braille Music is the way I taught myself. It took me about a week to learn everything, and a couple months to be comfortable, but here are the basics.

D,E,F,G,H,I,J are C through B respectively. They are eighth notes. Adding dot 6 makes it a quarter note. Adding Dot 3 makes it a half note. Dots 36 either indicate a whole note or a sixteenth. Dots 23 before a group of notes indicate triplets. Dot three after the note is a dot. Dot 4 c is a tie and c is a slur. Flat is a gh sign and sharp is the sh sign. V is a quarter rest, x is an eighth rest, and m is a sixteenth or whole rest.

In vocal music the words are above the music notation, and unless specified, the rule is generally one syllable per note. Some music is lined up propperly, and some isn't.

I hope that helps.