Re: BK games

Okay.

bk3, aka our great adventure, has a full English translation of the game and is more than playable. The only miner catch is this translation costs 5 usd, which is really not a bad thing at all when you think about the massive amount of work which has gone into translating the game.
You can find out more, learn about the game and the translation here on it's database page.

In story terms, whilst the game does continue on from the others, there is a recap at the start to get you up to speed, and since the highlight here is the action/rpg gameplay you will find things get interesting pretty quickly.

As to Bk 1 and 2. I have not tried these myself, however I have tried several other Japanese games such as shadowline and dreamy train with Jgt, aka the Japanese games translator addon for NVDA, and it's worked fine with all of them, Find out about that here.

I believe it would work just as well with bk1 and 2, since unlike some games, they output text directly to your screen reader so don't require other mucking about to play, though I've yet to try those myself.

obviously getting a google translation isn't as good as the official translation of Bk3, which is why I'd still recommend supporting the paid version there if you can.

Hth.

Btw, I appreciate the problem of headaches running games, indeed the reason I have not tried many of the other Japanese titles is the extra headaches of trying to run locale emulator and other components (my one attempt to run locale emulator was not successful).
However, JGT is pretty much just plug and play and requires no more trouble than typing in a password and pressing control, shift NVDA Y.

If you don't use NVDA, you might have more problems, I believe there are Jaws solutions for translations but not being a Jaws user myself, I can't say what they are, though there is a guide in the articles room which goes into such things.