Re: Getting very annoyed with windows eight and speech.

Yeah its time to reformat that should fix it.
However its also why bar laptops that I avoid packaged distributions for desktops thank god with custom stuff I don't need to load everything.
Fact is  your system may be locked to a sertain os manufacturer by the company that made it and you will have to buy an upgrade or may not be able to get it.
I have heard it from various people that they have had issues depending on their system upgrading its not always smooth.
Ms is trialing a new system where win 8.1 goes through windowsupdate in sertain arieas so it may appear in your's who knows.
you could have a driver or app that needs updating or it could be your bios if you are lucky.
lately the primary i3 box used for most of the internal file services has been resetting its bios every time I turned it on.
I fixed it by running an update program from the board manufacturer, first I deleted all bios then updated it with a fresh coppy.
So far there has not been any issue with the bios.
Where possible I do try to update bios if there is an update at least on my personal laptop.
On other devices you shouldn't need to though I do refresh firmwares on routers and the like