Re: Earwax

@55
No.  You also have to handle the angles.  You'll want to find someone else's code either in Python already or in another language to port.

I believe this is bug-free.  I might be able to dig up the other JS implementation I know of.

You might look at something like hypothesis for testing it, depending on if you look at hypothesis and find it to be the most clever thing ever or brain-meltingly complicated.  But Hypothesis is what I'd personally use, by placing an object randomly on an empty tile grid and trying to cast rays that you know have to hit it.  Hypothesis can give you the position of the object andthe position of the ray, and will make sure to search for broken examples for you really effectively especially if you turn the settings up from the default.

@54
But, that's just making my point for me at this point.  That's too complicated for most players to handle.  Would it be a fun boss, maybe, but only a small fraction of people here would be able to handle figuring out that much information on the fly for one fight.

I played a lot of Final Fantasy VI when I was younger, some Final Fantasy VII.  Here is how this goes in practice.  Everythings fine, everything's fine, everything's fine, oops you got two random encounters of the hardest thing in this area and they both decided to use their hardest attack twice and now you're dead, and also you didn't know it was coming and also the random number god said critical hit.

When Stewie's slay the spire mod lands that'll probably decide this argument, by giving this community access to a turn-based game with that level of complexity in it.  But the things and the era you hold up as an example of this done well that aren't your boss example, they didn't.  Some of that's not turn-based combat, admittedly; it used to be much more acceptable to be unfair toward the player and call it difficulty.