Re: Important moderation message, please read

I just had a read over this whole argument. Frankly, I feel like all there exists is a simple binary, when there are in fact several alternatives.
First I will start with what I agree with, then what I disagree with, and then what I think could be improved and why. Note: I will not say who I agree or disagree with, so as not to single anyone out. I will just say what I agree or disagree with. Those who are knowledgeable about who said what it is I pointed can do what they want.
First of all, I agree that the first thing that was needed was to clarify and make certain that the person in question was requesting for something that is considered illegal and or immoral as cracking. Having not done so could have resulted in a major disaster as stated in post no. 2. I agree that there could be a clearer understanding of what terms like cracking, serial numbers, etc means. In fact, I was wondering if the Forum could have a translation feature for those coming from non-English co untries. It would be nearly impossible to establish a multi-lingual forum in this situation, but at the same time try to keep the terms simple and not complex so that anyone would be able to understand it no matter the culture, since all cultures around the world have a simple moral, do not steal from others. I agree that the needed punishment was necessary, though I am beginning to think that people who never reform are impossible to punish, which branches off into another argument that I won't bother starting up. I also agree that finding a blanket solution to end cracking is impossible, though I think it would be just better if people were altruistic as Benjamin Franklin, though sadly, John Locke said himself that people are primarily selfish and they want to compete against one another in making better profits. Therefore, I think cracking games is more of a moral decision and not a legal one, though it is legal because stealing or shop-lifting means you are taking away some thing without paying for it, whereas if you make copies of something without paying for it, no one will get any money, or have to pay anything. The only time it becomes a legal matter is if a person copied it, modified it and sold it with their own tweaks. This becomes a copyright infringement, which is stated in a certain article of the United State's constitution, and many other Western countries use the same system. If a person redistributed the games for free, then there is no restriction and the person can modify them at will, but the purpose is to not sell and make a profit that could result in legal wars. As mentioned, developers need to use all the money they can get to pay for their own expenses and whatnot, but again, it would be nicer if the world wasn't so money-hungry. Sadly, I don't think that a solution for this problem won't be found for another hundred years, or maybe never at all. I am thinking that maybe all cultures should be equally tempered to a certain degree so that everyone's on the same page, though bringing a whole world to sameness is yet something not foreseeable.
Here are the things that I disagree with. I don't think it is necessary to have disabled the PM system. If people use it int the wrong manner, it's their fault. Now, I do realise that in this particular emergency, we had no choice but to do so because we don't yet have a way of making sure we stay in the boundaries of freedom of speech and respecting other's privacy.
Now, for the suggestions: Can there be a way to filter private messages and e-mail relayed via the forum? For example, if the filter thinks you are talking about cracks, it will be either deleted or flagged for a moderator to approve?
Other than that, I am thinking that only the forum e-mail should be used with the e-mail relay and eliminate private messaging altogether. I rarely used PM's anyhow, so this decision does not affect me in the least .
Please be warned, this topic may be edited as new points arise and if I think of more things that I agree, disagree and what can be improved come up.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hayden via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : themadviolinist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector