Re: Best audio (code) library for C?

PortAudio also falls over on modern Windows in some cases because writing a Wasapi backend is hard and they didn't get it right.  And if you make it fall back to the other ones it has, it'll be really latent on modern Windows.  I believe it also stopped development as of 2016 or so.  Every once in a while I check in on their changelog and I remember that the last time it was pretty much dead.  I'd stay away.

Synthizer isn't working on Linux only because there are differences in C++ compilers and someone needs to go tweak the C++ so that gcc is happy.  It's otherwise 100% ready for that, assuming that miniaudio's implementation is good.  It's also like 95% ready for mac, but I can't test on mac ultimately so that last 5% might require someone knowledgeable.

Eventually, you'll discover that I'm right about C/C++.  I'd use them for a few types of games because performance might actually matter--namely online audiogame world of warcraft--but for that there's also Rust.  Getting stuck during development isn't what kills projects, and the fact that there's multiple multi-million dollar companies that exist solely to deal with C/C++ specific issues kind of makes it objective, not my opinion.  But only time is going to change your mind I guess.

@philip_bennefall
My HRTF might already be better, I'm not sure.  I need to tweak some of the math going into it, but it doesn't click at all and is fast enough that you can get up to double digit sources in debug builds.  I suspect that the killer feature for you might be reverb since I know how to do an O(1) implementation.

But again, early adopter bla bla bla.  So I understand why people aren't jumping on that train yet.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TextAdventurer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TextAdventurer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector