Re: reflections from a former developer

This is very true, but I think there's some good reasons for it. Firstly, there are just more games. Most of the games that defined the last decade came out between 2010 and 2017, and while that's a long time in any other entertainment industry like mainstream gaming or music, it's perceived as a lot shorter here. With more wheat, however, comes more chaf. That's why as the number of good games increases, so does the number of bad ones, and the number of people who just want quick attention and decide to fork some code.
Then there were the japanese games. I think those raised the bar by quite a lot. These days, if you make a side scroller, someone's going to come along and say something like "this game sucks because it isn't as good/long/interesting as bk3, get out!"
There has to be some kind of market for the simpler things though as well. I mean, I remember the original scrolling battles, how well it did, and how long it was developed for. Same thing with the shooter concept, the new crime hunter ,etc.
Finally, you have to consider that there's sighted indi devs making games accessible now, and even a mainstream publisher or two poking their nose in. That'll just raise the standard even higher. I don't know where audio games will go in the next 10 years, or whether we'll even need them by the time the next console generation comes (read. ps6/the next xbox). But if devs want them to stick around, they're going to need to shape up in some way.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jescat277 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : electro via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : electro via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : stasp via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : microsoftsam203 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : microsoftsam203 via Audiogames-reflector