Re: The wheel of time and other fantasy books

@Targor, something to look forward to for next year for me then big_smile.

Btw, have you read the burning man? It was a novella Williams wrote in the legends collection, and is set a good 500 years before the main series, when the Hayholt is still in ruins, you get a glimpse into ineluki's past, and some hints at a larger story, as well as some great characterisation as always.

I know what you mean about unexpected horror in other books being in some ways more shocking than in an actual horror, oddly enough there was probably more of than in Otherland than in Memory sorrow and thorn, though there is more again in Shadowmarch as I remember, there's even a section in Shadowmarch which is pretty much a literary representation of what the heroquests in king of dragon pass are probably like, complete with a fantastic world of the dead. Indeed, this is something Williams does well, the one thing I really did like in the bobby Dollar series was the second book, happy hour in hell, basically because it is tad Williams writing Hell, and you can just imagine how horrible that gets big_smile.

As to Miriamelle, When I spoke of her "bratty" moments, I didn't mean her thing with Aspitis, that was perfectly understandable, which made Simon's initial reaction to it rather irritating, albeit he did get over that fairly quickly. It was the way Miriamelle treated people around her, Cadrach especially, but also on occasion Binabik, Gan ittai, Isgrimnur  and even Simon, she just had a habit of lashing out at people who were being nice to her which was generally not particularly nice, which again seemed rather odd given that she wasn't initially like that when we met her in the Dragonbone chair, indeed it's one of the few slight character misssteps in the series, that she almost gets a personality shift.

This, conbined with Maegwin being a total cow to Eolair and then going bonkers, and Vorzhiva being basically a spoiled Diva throughout the series, tended to mean that most of the major characters who were young women didn't tend to be pleasant to be around (with the exception of Binabik's Fiance, who's name I will not attempt to spell, but who was all sorts of awesome and genuinely lovely).

Actually, Williams did rather better writing teenaged girls with Sam in Otherland, who is one of probably the most fantastic and beloved characters of the series, and Briony in Shadowmarch, who almost reads like a far nicer version of Maegwin and Miramelle combined.