Re: Discrimination at a County Fair

Hi folks,
I have had a simmilar problem either in an amusement park (Heidepark, Soltau, Germany).
When I entered the Collossos, which is the biggest wooden roller-coaster in the entire world, we, my sister and I, were sitting in there, and when an operator noticed I am blind, he and a colleegue of him tried arguing why I shouldn't be on board this ride, due to my disability and the fact that my sister was under 18 and therefore not allowed to assist me in case of, that's what the two guys said, the ride gets stuck at a height of around 60 meters.
I, however, didn't give up so easily and said: "My friend, if the ride would get stuck at a height of 60 meters, I would be the only one climbing down the ladder and therefore follow the instructions given to us by you, only in case of an emergency!"
After my explanation, he didn't find any cons and allowed us to stay on board.
At the end, there was nothing harmful, they were only kin d of scared because a nearby roller-coaster got stuck. I can understand that, but keeping in mind that a blind person would more likely be able to perform the instructions, the only problem is that not every blind person would eventually do so at the end, but at least most of them, because they do not have the ability to look downwards and therefore aren't scared because of the height.
Regarding their online support, I am only allowed to use selected rides, but when visiting the actual park they don't seem to know rules like these.
However, in some of Northrein-Westphalias' amusement parks, they don't let you board anything, even if you have an assisting sighted person with you. And that is definitely discrimination!
It's okay for me to board rides with an assisting person who is sighted, that is not the problem! But refusing boarding anything no matter how many sighted people are with you, who gladly would assist you is just discrimination, a nd I would not visit such amusement parks in the first part!

Regarding your matter, I recommend seeking for friends of yours who also love going on rides, boarding the ride with a second person shouldn't be the problem is first place.