Re: Kenshira Plays: Audio playthroughs and demos of mainstream games

Hi, everyone! It's  new week, which means that its time for a new game! Today, I'm playing the psp mini Flying Hamster, also available on ps3, mobile and ps vita.

Flying hamster is a horizontally scrolling shooter. As suchch, the screen will automatically scroll to the right, except during boss battles, and you can move around in all 2d directions. The story behind the game is that one day, a hamster and his other hamster friend are hanging out at the beach when she suddenly spots a jewel on the ground and picks it up. As she does so, a bird swoops in and snatches her away. Gathering a couple leaves and some pellets, our hero takes to the skies in an attempt to rescue his friend, and thats where we the player come in. During gameplay, we have a fire button and an auto fire button. The auto fire button will always shoot pellets at a fixed speed, even if we mash it rapidly, vut the fire button will shoot them out as fast as you can press it, with the ability to charge your shot by holding the button. During the course of gameplay, enemies and bosses will move in predictable patterns, and weapon powerups will spawn in fixed locations, so we, and even sighted players can memorize how a stage proceeds to clear it effectively. We get 3 lives, and a fixed number of continues to get through the game, with the possibility to earn more continues as we play. You lose a life on 1 hit, but you start right where you died, and same when you use a continue. When you're out of continues, you can start right back at your last checkpoint in free play, and each stage has 4 checkpoints. You'll hear me do just that a few times during the course of the demo. The final thing worth noting is that this game does actually have stereo sound, so you will probably hear me shooting around different areas of the playfield, though I have found that the ideal strategy is to hang around the left edge  of the screen and keep firing so you can hear things coming and can react appropriately to your situation.

This was another game that I picked up around my time at pspminis.com. I bought it because I had read in a review that the game let you continue where you died, so I figured that, and this game being inspired by retro 8-bit scrolling shooters would make this playable, and I wasn't disappointed. I even forgot that it had stereo sound until I brought it over to the vita alongvwith the rest of my old library. Speakibg of the sound, its actually pretty good, and not at all 8-bit. The title music has some 8-bit guitar rifts, but none of that is 8-bit either, and that too is filled with catchy melodies. As for its releases, flying hamster came out on mobile, I think ios specifically, where it also uses a virtual controller layout. Afterwords, it was ported as a mini to the ps3 and psp, then later on got a graphical overhaul and trophy support for the vita in flying hamster HD edition. In the approximately 16 minute demo below, I'll work my way through to as far as I can get in the second area of the game.

Flying hamster audio demo

I hope you guys enjoy this week's game. Next week, we'll tackle something a little more modern, or at the very least, that you can get for modern consoles and pc. Tune in then to find out what it is. Until next time!