Re: Kenshira Plays: Audio playthroughs and demos of mainstream games

Hi, everyone! Its a new day, which means that its time for a new game! Today, the hollow night becomes my battleground as I play through Under Night In-birth exe: late[st] for the ps vita, also available for ps3, ps4, switch, and pc.

First, a bit of history. My brother and I got our first vita pretty close to launch, either around 2012/13, and we were both pretty excited to start collecting for it, which we did for a good couple years until my brother started working on our ps4 library, and I was distracted by several muds and a relationship to give the handheld much thought. I always felt like it was something special, though, so fast forward a couple more years to last year, and I finally have a vita of my own and a 64 gb memory card so I've got tons of digital storage and am ready to resume building up our library. Where my brother focused on the physical games, I put my primary focus on the digital ones. Among the many I snagged at the end of last year was Under Night In-birth Exe:Late[st]. Thats literally how the title is written, so I'll just refer to it as Under Night from here on.

Although it came out years ago, i only discovered under night last year when I was hunting hard for games to play. For those unfamiliar with the game, it is a 2d anime-style 3 button fighter with a reasonably sized roster, extensive tutorial, tons of lore, lengthy visual novel-style story, and tons of modes to sink your teeth into. The game is fully voiced in japanese, and all of the main modes are spoken when you choose them. There is a lot of story crammed into the arcade mode for each character, and the chronicles mode sets the stage with how the world came to be as it was, and how each character came to be involved in the story. The game has the option to turn auto scrolling of dialog on and off so you have time to read with whatever means is at your disposal, but for the sake of this recording, I left it on so that I don't accidentally skip over dialog or pause too long between them. In the demo below, I give myself 1 credit to try to clear arcade on the standard difficulty. How far will I get? Listen to find out!

under night audio demo

As stated earlier, you can still pick this up today on ps4, vita, switch, and pc. With exception to the vita version, the other 3 got an update this year that added a new character and made balance fixes to the fighting engine. The game has remained relatively underground since it came out almost 8 years ago, but has since gained a cult following, so maybe give this a try if you're looking for a cool new meaty fighter to sink your teeth into.

I hope you guys enjoyed today's game. Next week, we'll dive into something less violent for the last time this year. Tune in then to know what it is. Until next time!