Re: family/future. Need advice

@40
Yeah, as I said this only got as far as planning.  But if things had gone differently it probably would have gone as far as practice.  I've known a few others over the years who have done something very similar to it though.  But when I moved to Seattle I had to do it without a job and there was some concern there.  It's pretty hard to fall so far off the map that putting exactly what I described into practice is necessary, if only because what I'm describing is the kind of thing where you'd rarely do it by choice, but I've done all the independent living things and I had a reason to construct the worst case even though I ended up not needing it because I chose to risk falling through the cracks, and hey, if you're making that choice, plan it before you do just in case.

In particular, just how little money you can get away with while still eating a diet that isn't deficient in anything super critical would surprise a lot of people, though you really need to make sure to have a little meat in there or do a bunch of research on what vegetarians need to eat to make up for it.  But you can go online and order giant pallets of canned stuff that'll keep forever no problem.  I've got a giant thing of dried milk in the cabinet that was like $10 which will keep for at least a year and is easily the equivalent to like 10+ gallons.  Purchased for a weird experimental cooking thing I wanted to try, I think you can combine it with instant clear jel and make heat-free gravy that you can heat in the microwave after the fact, for the curious.  I need to follow through on that project and see if it's possible still to be honest.