Re: Pokémon access

Honest but slightly technical question here.

My understanding of the scripts here was that they were working within maps or code to isolate things and label them as the code suggested. So for instance, if you're on a map that's a seven by seven tile room with an NPC directly in the middle, and you were standing in the bottom right-hand corner with a door three spaces left and one space down, the game would know that, and you'd use your keys to move around or interact or pathfind or do whatever.
I'm not sure why supporting hacks is so difficult. What am I missing here? Hacks in most cases don't change the fundamental code on which the game is based. For instance, Perfect Crystal has most NPCs in exactly the same place, but TMs aren't used up on use, and a few glitches are fixed. What actually makes it harder to find the NPC or door in my little sample room in, say, perfect crystal over regular crystal?
I can totally understand things like bad labels for games like Pokémon Brown (prism is a whole different story, and we won't talk about that one), so maybe the scripts would have no idea what an item or an NPC or a map entrance was called. That I can totally understand. But surely it could still find those objects in some fashion even if it was just "object 1, 5 up 2 left", and let you figure it out?
I am very obviously missing something here. You're the expert, not me. It just seems like Tyler Spivey's crystal scripts just kind of work, or don't, while yours are a whole lot more finicky, and I'm having trouble understanding why.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pika-san via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nuive via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : wightfall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pika-san via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : wightfall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pika-san via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nuive via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nuive via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nuive via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : luyi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cj89 via Audiogames-reflector