windows update blue screen of death!

For literally the last year, I've been wincing every time windows requires an update, since inevitably what will happen is my computer gets stuck on a blue screen of death during the process, and I have to restart with the power switch, which then results in me just disabling updates for another month, which is obviously not a good thing.

I tried again today and same result, so I'm trying to at least look into the problem.

Googling the problem found me the setup diag tool, which I ran.
This informs me I have a case of Error = 0xC1900101-0x20003.

okay, fair enough.

googling that error I found This article, which says the error is probably a problem caused by troublesome aps, probably things that lock files such as antivirus or antispyware programs, however the only one of those I use is malware bites, which would be a little odd.

I can try uninstalling malware bites I suppose, but if anyone has any other definite ideas that would be appreciated, indeed I'm a bit paranoid about my desktop breaking, not for losing info (since everything I've got is backed up six ways from Sunday, although setting up a new machine would be a royal pain), more because with corona virus lockdown in effect, I can't just wander into my nice local computer place as normal and buy soemthing new, much less get this one fixed.

So any thoughts would be appreciated.