Re: Castaways contest, with cash prizes!

Ok, some serious tips, seems to be the sporting thing to do. Warning, spoilers and spilt beans.

Quick answer:  The right strategy for this map is to build walls, as many as it takes.  Wall yourself in and forget about soldiers until after all your walls are built.

The strategy stuff: Each map seems to require one of 3 strategies, soldiers, walls, or population.  This map is small so growing your population is a luxury you don't have time for.  Building in the middle of the map and relying on soldiers is again not quick enough.  Building some walls and trying to stem the goblin tide is worth a try but the soldiers will drain your economy and expanding your territory becomes very slow with few workers.  So walls is the way to go and fortunately it's possible.  The downside is that it takes time and resources but this is not as much downside as soldiers.  Other maps will of course differ.

The next quest ion is how many walls and where to put them.  You have to choose between going for safety and speed or going for more territory in order to have more room to build on.  My 3 games have had 3 different wall placements and I'm going to try a fourth.  If you find a clear cut answer where to put the walls, then please let me know.

Some tips on this bit:  Planning your land grab is advisable and the order you put up the walls is also very important.

How much land do I need?  The correct answer is - as much as you have time in the game to build on.

In reality, land is scarce, having too much safe land is probably not going to bother you at this point.  It's very likely land will be your limiting factor and your choice will boil down to what you have room to build.

In the unlikely event you end up with expansive lands, time will be your limiting factor and your choice will boil down to what order to put up your b uildings.

What order should I put up my buildings?  Ah that's tactics and not covered in this post about strategy.  Perhaps I'll do a post on some tactics later on.

Is there a shortcut?  Yes.  Don't bother building anything, just choose smuggled goods as your starter and send everyone out fishing.  Just before you starve to death, save your game and submit it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : the terminator via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : yujin9091 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rocky Waters via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rocky Waters via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rocky Waters via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rocky Waters via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Loxias via Audiogames-reflector