Re: I am affronted by the presence of god

@camlorn, but that's just it.  Why is it good?  Why is it bad?  By who's standard and who or what gives that person or subset of people the right to determine good and bad and let it be what it is and why it is?  By that same logic you can keep changing the definition of good and bad with the times and say that what you see as good today doesn't have to stay that way because you say it is, and if someone comes along to question that logic, well, that's bad because you believe it is!  Honestly?  If atheism could provide me with a huge amount of evidence as to why it is all round better and easier on life and why practically it makes more sense than an external influence that governs the laws of time, space and everything else in this big bad world we live in, I'd at the very least consider it, but at present, the idea that things are what they are and why should we not just let them be is, to me, as strange in the ear as you say my god is to you.
@Jayde, it all comes back to what you believe about God.  If you're going to go by the creation story found in Genesis, then we suffer from illness and sickness because man disobeyed the higher power in question and instead wanted to take the chance and become the higher power himself.  ON the other hand, if your idea of God is that he is one with the universe or that everything is God including man, I can only imagine what one might believe under such mindsets... I suppose anything goes.  And if you believe in no god, then you have to come up with a better alternative for much of the world population because God is such a grounded belief in humanity that at its core it really is a basic belief or one that at the very least can be justified by its simplicity, which states that it is easier to believe that a world was manufactured into existence by a higher power, than it is to believe that the world came from nothing and, by accident and chance, became something.