Re: Looking for insight and recommendations.

Hi Ryan.

Well, exposure for audio games is always a good thing,  and I'm pleased your writing the article, (I have vaguely heard of greenlight magazine).

On one level  however, I will say your question isn't entirely answerable, sinse to a large extent "what audio games people like playing" is a very individualistic business, you might as well ask what video games people like playing.

Audio games these days can be found in many different genres from simple arcade style games, to online fps, to even a couple of rpgs and multiplayer  stratogy games so  there is a lot of choice, albeit perhaps only  a few entries in each category to choose from, (sinse there are still very few audio games available).

As regards experience and  audio games vs video games, well I became involved in audio games myself when i found my limited vision no longer able to keep up with complex 3D environments, indeed I do still own a Snes and MEga drive and play them regularly and occasionally play indi  graphical games in the 2D style as well.

There was a point where  many audio games were coloured by acertain perception of blind/visually impared people as mostly eldily or lacking in computer skills and thus were very much  created in a simplistic vane, requiring basic sterrio targeting of sounds or simply being replicas (and in some cases none too   complex  or well featured replicas), of  tradditional style   board, card or puzzle games like black jack, concentration or hangman.

I'm pleased to say that things have moved on considderably sinse then, however most of the developers of audio games are still generally visually impared themselves, and through a combination of lack of technology, and lack of availability of sounds and actors audio games are in many cases still running a long  way behind what  similar indi graphical games are d oing currently. For example, the first audio online fps was only produced in 2010, and though more has recently been done in the rpg and stratogy genrees we are still waiting major developments, at least in the west (some people have run japanese audio rpgs, which are more sophisticated but take the devil's own time to translate and run).

Another issue in audio is the field of vision. In an audio game you are manifestly  limited to the uses of sterrio sound, thus showing objects vertical positioning can be an interesting challenge. That being said, in some ways the limits of view can be helpful both for challenge and atmosphere. For example, in Pcs Packman talks (an audio version of the classic arcade game), the view is first person and it's necessary to remember and carefully view the maze and ghost positions, rather than get an instant overview of all elements.

Audio games are also slowly being recognized as a way to promote atmosphere, games such as p apasangre and the inquisitor on platforms like Ios being marketed to the sighted public as well as visually impared gamers as  effectively interactive dramas. That being said there is still a very long way to go,  and still many areas where audio games are falling short, especially in producing more   mechanically complex games such as detailed rpgs.

Another  more recent problem is the use of canvasing and other graphical technologies that make platforms like Steam near impossible to access using screen reading software.

I think probably the best way to get acquainted with audio games however rather than me rattle on about them, would be for you to play some yourself. You can find a continually expanding database on this site which has over 470 games listed.

For audio arcade style games I'd recommend trying esp pinball xtreme, or The Blind Swordman, (esp pinball xtreme is a commercial game but has a 15 day demo). These should give a good idea of hhow reaction games play in audio.

I'd also recommend you have a look at Shades of doom from Gma games. This was the first audio fps, and though games like Swamp have carried things further has a lot of the basics of  how to navigate and understand positioning in audio, as well as some very creepy and atmospheric sounds. I'd also recommend trying Castaways by Aprone, an audio civilization style game which should give a good idea of how to perform quick map overviews and how you might handle a civilization style game.

it is actually quite surprising how complex audio game play can be, it's just a shame that this hasn't been handled as well as it could be in the past and so many games play like boppit clones, which is another reason why I'm pleased to hear your writing an article sinse any publicity is helpful especially among  indi developers.

Btw, feel free to quote me as you wish or ask any questions.

You can list me either as Dark, or as Dr. Luke hewitt if you prefer.