Re: Grail to the Thief: An Interactive Audio Adventure

Um...shoot me for saying this if you like, but a save feature is something ninety percent of games manage, and if there's an internal memory reference then there's at least the framework of a save system. All you would have to do is optionally let the player freeze their data at a given place, then dump the created file someplace. Then, when the player wanted to resume the game, they could just make the game grab the file. Many one-man teams have successfully implemented save features.
Pursuant to that, failure when you can save is far far less a problem. Having no way to restore from your last correct move might be annoying, it's true, but with some sort of capacity to save the game, the player would suffer little consequence for failure except having to go back. And if their last save was somehow at a point where they had no good moves, oh well. You lose up to an hour of your life, and you try again.

I'm going to be brutally honest here. Both of th e points I've addressed here, both of the things that don't exist but ought to...well, they personally bespeak laziness to me. A game that I categorically cannot fail at is not a game; it's more like a choose-your-own-adventure story where you can basically cheat and flick through pages at random. I do appreciate that you've put work into this project, and I thought the little teaser you released was sort of neat, but if you expect people to pay for a forty-five minute game they can't really fail at (and thus which holds little to no replay value once completed), you may be in for a rude awakening. Consider that Papa Sangre is fairly cheap, saves after every level, offers considerable challenge and would probably require over an hour and a half to complete fully. Papa Sangre II is even more illustrative, as there are achievements and a couple of hidden bits built in.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : harrylst via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : hanif via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : hanif via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : foralltoplay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : hanif via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : foralltoplay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : threeblacknoises via Audiogames-reflector