iPod Shuffle: Experiences? Worth it?

Hi all.

I'll buy an iPod shuffle  , latest model very soon. It's cheep and it sounds nice.
I look forward to see for myself if it can do what I want it to do:
I'll mainly use it for audiobooks, so I need the device to remember where I stopped the playback. I might not need more than one audiobook on the device at the same time. That would be a nice option, but not a need for me.
Then, I don't wanna use iTunes to transfer the audiobooks to the iPod. I have all my audiobooks, music and stuff manually sorted into folders and on external harddrives, and I don't want iTunes to mess that up as it always does. smile The situration would have been much worse if I used iTunes for all my music. If I did, iTunes would have messed up my music by adding random audiobooks, because my audiobooks is not marked as "audiobooks" in the files like y ou can do in iTunes. So if my only choice is to use iTunes, I can let it mess it all up by adding it all to the standard libirary and then I can make a playlist for my iPod and sync in that way.
But, I'm searching for an other alternative, and I think I have found an accessible alternative. It would just be much easier for me, if I could copy stuff onto the device like a memorycard.
I would like to hear your experiences about the iPod shuffle, what you like and what you dislike. Before, I didn't saw my need for this because I could just put music on my phone, but why spend battery on this, when i can buy a cheep iPod shuffle and get 15 hours of battery on such small a device.