Re: Books by Stephen King

Interesting Nin, I don't recognize the title "the long walk" I'll have to check that out.

With the references, to be honest they sometimes confuse me as well sinse I think you need to be A, American, and B, to have grown up in a  particular time in history such as the 1950's to get some references, which goes for everything from brand names to tv.

I have not read talisman yet but very much wish to, particularly with ow it ties in to the dark tower.

Regarding Horror, I've not read John Saul. Dean  Koontz I have read one of his Odd thomas books and one christopher snow book, but I didn't really rate either. Both had normal characters who were pretty uninteresting, indeed  I sort of thought the private joke in Odd thomas was how dull Thomas was big_smile.

I also found them far too conservative and safe in a sort of small time way, about how everyone lives in a small cuddly wuddly town where all the women are beautiful and attracted to the main character or are kind and motherly and want to mother the main character, and all the men are  either the main character's good buddies or some old grizzled father figures like the police chief in odd thomas, and anyone really evil and bad are just irrational psychoes who interupt the general niceness of everyday life for no reason. It's as if the entire cast are made up of the Flanders family from the Simpsons! big_smile.

it's a shame, I enjoyed some of the ideas, like  some of the paranormal sights in Odd Thomas, but I just found the hole thing far too sickly over all.

Oh, and btw, yes I did read the ending to the first Odd Thomas novel which was supposed to be tragic but just didn't feel that way because hay, w ell there's all your good buddies and friends to cheer you up so stop being such a sour pus!   "Oh sorry, yes, how nasty of me, now lets go to the all American  Bbq and drink beer and talk about sport while Mrs. Goodwife and the rest of the women bring us food and talk about how Handsome I am!"

I don't know if the series gets darker later on or actually includes characters who are more than cardboard sterriotypes, though given some over all cryticisms I've read of Koontz writing I don't believe so, and to be honest I just find that sort of thing far too depressing!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jason SW via Audiogames-reflector