Re: Books by Stephen King

Thanks for removing the post and the explanation. As it says in the Faq, while we're absolutely %100 against copying audio games, books and such are quite another matter, though we do need to be a little careful as we don't want the forum to get into trouble.

Regarding Steven King, I personally can  only read King in audio. I once tried to read Salem's lot in braille and just got frustrated with having to waide through so much, and I don't particularly enjoy reading with a synth voice anyway.

However at least lots of King's stuff is available in audio form.I haven't read any major King works sinse Misery or Doctor sleep before hand, but I have read several short stories which I got a colelction of.

I was particularly impressed with the story "jaunt"  both because I'd read  Tiger Tiger (or the stars my destination as it was published in the states), by Alfred Bester, which first had the concept of Jaunt ing as mental teleports King mentions in the story, and because the horror of Jaunt was something uniquely tailered to a thing I'm particularly scared of.

Beware! spoilage ahoy! if you haven't read Jaunt, read on only at peril of the story being spoiled by the  giant spoilers of  spoilery doom! spoilers!

The idea of just hanging in nothingness with no sensation for eternity is one I find particularly scary. I can't say why, but the idea just freaks me out. I've had it turn up in a couple of stories, but in jaunt where that is the focus of the horror and where such a miner thing as not following airport safety leads someone into it was wonderfully creepsome, and I give King much credit on actually managing to create a story which I read at about two in the morning which genuinely stopped me from  sleeping for a while, or at least made me very jumpy.

Then again, if I hadn't been looking for chills, I wouldn't hve read k ing.

I also read Crouch end, a story I first read several years before, which I loved for it's writing and it's cthulhu atmosphere, but which didn't physically creep me out as Jaunt did.