Re: The contraversy of Mallenche, and its creator, Howard Sherman

@Trenton, Yep, certainly the ff project podcast is still around Get here from sendspace

Regarding Choiceofgames as I said I'd count those as gamebooks, though perhaps there should be some sort of distinction between gamebooks that use the rpg random combat and dice the way ff style gamebooks do, and those that work simply on choice.

I can understand your idea on console windows, though for me I don't mind using winfrotz or Winglulx, or indeed Wintads. Indeed, back when i first discovered traditional parser if in 2004, I had no idea what Sapi was so even though I had a copy of Winfrtoz tts was just using virtual curser to read and didn't find much interpreter difference once i'd iliminated all unnecessary elements from the screen, this is why I prefer Winfrotz or Winglulx to Filfre and why I'm not entirely reliant on the automatic speaking of incoming text.

I'm a little confused Tr enton what you mean about "even html tads was easier than the malinche games" sinse the Malinch games are just standardzcode files at rock bottom. Sherman has this weerd thing of selling butchered copies of winfrotz with installers attached and pretending the games are stand alone programs, but really there isn't anything special about them and you could just play them in filfre, console Frotz or whatever like any other if game. This is why as I said Sherman's little hissyfit about blind players is somewhat unnecessary sinse if the guy just worked in a streight forward way it wouldn't be an issue.

@Sebby  I personally don't like the term Cyoa when applied to gamebooks. The Choose your own adventure series was a set of very simple gamebooks very much intended for children. There really wasn't that much consequence in a lot of the choices, and often death was pretty arbitrary. There is an interesting article on this on the choiceofgames s ite, but basicaly the model they use for choices is trying to make the choices significant and using the stats to reflect that significance, which is why the choiceofgames don't use traditional D&D style rpg stats, sinse what would be the point in choosing between strength and mmm, weakness?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Best when the third person perspective holds together enough", sinse nearly all, if not absolutely all interactive fiction, be that gamebooks or parser based is second person, indeed it's about the only area of literary endeavour where Second Person is the norm rather than an experiment (though the bbc did a very awsome radioplay of The Junglebook told entirely through the narrator's second person talk to mowgly and Mowgly's first person talking to himself).

On the hole object manipulation thing, as I've said before I personally don't find that as engaging and have pretty much given up on parser style g ames sinse I became sick of getting stuck on a guess the verb or something with no logic behind it, though I probably ought to try Hadian lands or some other parser if again just to see if the situation is really as bad as I remember it being, though i confess one fact that slightly puts me off Hadian lands is while I really enjoyed Plotkin's Dreamhold, I got down right frustrated with his games Shade and Hunter in darkness, a shame sinse the writing in both was awsome, but having no way to progress was a pain in the rear.