Re: Schools for the blind, training centers, and how they perform.

I can relate to your discouragement.
Schools for the blind definitely do stunt your emotional and intellectual growth, particularly if you've been there long enough.
Just remember that you do have the upper hand, though. You know that what's going on is wrong. I know that doesn't help you now, and hell, it may never help you. But knowing is half the battle.
You can do a lot in the tech industry, if you want to, but this isn't the topic for that. Do a search for some of the other topics on here about employment if you want to. I seem to remember a couple of very productive discussions on that topic that are floating around.

And about the food, I definitely know what that's like, too. Actually, a couple of months ago, my sister and I got into an argument that resulted in her not speaking to me for over 2 weeks because of that issue, believe it or not.
We were discussing how, in her opinion, it's a good thing that kids no longer can have soda in schools. I responded that yes, in theory, this is good, but by the same token, the food and drinks they do provide should be fit for human consumption. When she asked me to expand on that, I told her about how, when I was at school, my friends and I would always have to be really wary of the milk. It was expired a lot of the time. A couple of my friends were partially sighted, so those of us who couldn't see would pass around our little bottles of milk to those who could so that we could be sure the dates were OK.
So right away, my sister thought I was making that up. That pissed me off, because I may be a lot of things, but I am not a liar. And why would I lie about something like that? So finally, after about 10 minutes of her saying that schools can't possibly provide expired milk without being sued, and that clearly I was just looking to start drama so that I would get attention, I snapped and cursed her out.
Anyway, the milk wasn't the only bad thing on the menu. I got sick a couple of times from undercooked chicken. The food was, in general, quite flavorless, and as a result, I barely ate most days.
And I would make that up...why? I'll never know.