Re: Schools for the blind, training centers, and how they perform.

About the confidence thing: I've been employing that technique for a while.

I think the first time was back in the summer when I was 15 years old, when I still had enough vision to see the curbe on the roadside. I wanted to start training for the upcoming cross country season, that and I just liked running, so I put on my shoes, and went for a run around the block. My parents were sitting on the porch at the time, and asked me what I was doing. I told them When I told them I was going to run around the block, they asked me if I had enough vision to do it, or something like that. I told them That I wouldn't know unless I tried. On that little sidestreet with almost no traffic, worst thing that could happen was running into a parked car. There was no chance of getting lost or anything since I wasn't going far, so I just did it without worrying about how successful it would be.

I'm not sure I employed that confidence technique many other times over the succeeding few years, but in recent history I've used it a lot. As mentioned before, cooking is one area. I've learned that the most importaint thing to learning how to cook is confidence. Most things are actually very simple to cook, and all one needs to do is know when to take it off the frying pan, or out of the oven. If it then tastes undercooked, cook it a bit more. Not much else to it. Today, I cooked hamberger helper, with the pasta, a pound of ground beef, a cup of rice, and 2 onions. mmmmm

I've also used this technique around campus. This is my first year living off campus. I'm just across from the southwest corner of campus, which is an area I didn't know well at all, since I never needed to come down to this corner of campus before. When I moved in, my mother and I walked from my house to the athletic complex, which would be the first half of my walk to school. That single walk taught me the general direction I needed to go. After that, I&# 039;d try walking there on my own, and frequently lost my way, but since there's so many people on campus at any given time, I was always able to flag down a passing pedestrian and ask for assistance. I'm now at the point where I can easily walk to class and back without even thinking of asking for help.