Re: old pcs doss games anyone having these still?

Going through all those old demos just reminded me how many less than optimal things had to happen for us to have audio games back in those days. You had to select from a few bundled sound players, because DOS had no native support for playing sounds, imagine that in today's world! If I recall correctly, while most sounds were playing, the game could do absolutely nothing whatsoever, simply because another program had full control of the computer in order to play the sound. This, of course, eliminated loads of possibilities. Any sound that had to be played interactively during game play had to be PC speaker beeps. All the sounds were low-quality by today's standards, to accommodate disk sizes and modem speeds of the time. I seem to recall that some of the later games like Trek did have internal sound playback, which made for a much more realistic gaming experience.

Of course as soon as developers started switching to Windows, many of these problems went away, and y ou bet developers took advantage of that. One of the first Windows games I played was an early concept demo of what would eventually become Shades of Doom, and as I recall, nothing available at that time could touch it as far as gameplay and complexity.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector