Stereo microphone simulation

Hello.
At the moment I don't have a stereo microphone but I happened to have 2 plextalk ptr2 recorders.
One is my own and the other one is from my job.
So last Spring I had the idea of recording ambient sounds from my backyard with both recorders at the same time and then mixing the 2 sounds with adobe audition to create a stereo effect.
So I put the recording from the first plextalk on the left channel and the other on the right.
With the multi track view of adobe audition it is possible to aline the tracks correctly so we don't have one channel ahead of the other.
The recording can be found here.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/198 … %20mix.mp3
At first everything sound nice but then very gradually the 2 channels get out of sync so the sounds don't pann correctly. Most sounds seam to come out from the left towards the end so I assume that the left channel is a bit ahead of the right.

Now my question is why this happens?
Since both recorders are digital why they are not synchronised all the time?
I can understand this behaviour if I was using tape recorders where we could have different speeds but with digital equipment I thought that we wouldn't have to worry about these things any more.
Also my other question is if there is a way to correct this recording to sound stereo all the time.
At the moment I created 2 mixings of this.
For the first one which is the link above I alined the channels at the beginning of the recording.
For the second mix I did the same but i went to the end of the recording instead.
Now I need to combine these 2 mixes.
Perhaps for the first 45 minutes to have the first mix and then for the other 45 minutes to go to the second one.
The problem is that I don't know exactly when the 2 tracks start to go out of sync.
Anyway I know this is an unusual question.
I hope somebody can help me.
I like this recording and I think with some modification it could become a very good soundscape.
Thanks
Nikos