copy getting started

Hello,

As you might or might not have seen, the link in my signature points to a cloud service called copy that I have found to be accessible if used in a certain way. Here, I will document the most accessible way that I have found to set up copy.

I will assume the following things about you:
1: you have an idea of what a cloud storage service does.
2: you can edit files in notepad or whatever editor you use and can save them with a different extension (.bat)
3: you are either familiar with technology, are willing to learn or ask for assistance if needed.

Enough with the pre-reqs, let's start this thing.

With copy, you can get 15 gigs of space for free, if you use my refferal link, you will get a free 5 gig bonus. First, either click on my refferal link or go to copy.com and click sign up and fill out the information requested (name, email, password, etc).

Linux Instructions:

Untar the tarball somewhere you can easi ly get to with the cd command. Next, open a terminal and cd to where you untared the tarball, like this:

cd /home/user/Downloads/copy/copy/arch

Note, the tarball has 3 different architecture binaries, armv6h for imbedded systems like pies, x86 (32-bit intel) and x86_64(64-bit intel). Replace arch with the appropriate arch for your system.

To login, run this:

./CopyConsole -r=/home/user/Copy -u=youremail
To sync after you login, run:

./CopyConsole

To sync on login, add this to your shell's startup script, .profile for bash and .zlogin for zsh, etc...
sh -c "cd /home/user/Downloads/copy/copy/arch ;  ./CopyConsole & "
Mac Users:

If the mac archive has a CopyConsole binary, use it the same way you would use the linux binary in the previous example, only put the sync command in for example sync.sh and stick that in your ~/Library/StartupItems folder and make it executable.

Web UI:

If you want to do things like sharing folders and access your files on machines that do not have the copy agent installed, you can just go to copy.com in a web browser, hit log in, live long and prosper. The web ui might be confusing at first, put think of it like a tablet ui, you select a file and on the right or bottom of the page, actions appear like download, share, etc. I find that this design works the best with chromevox on google chrome/chromium.

Windows Instructions:

Download the software and important, after you install, close the graphical agent since it is written in qt which is semi-accessible, but still, if you really want to play around with the gui, get ready for some good old fashion trial and error. Next, after you close the graphical setup, open notepad and create a file called login.bat. Put this code in:

@echo off
mkdir "%userprofile%\copy"
cd "%appdata%\copy"
copyconsole -r="%userprofile%\copy" -u=youremail

Replace youremail with the email address that you used when signing up. Once you save this file, run it. You will be prompted "password:", enter your copy password and hit the enter key. Once the window displays "started copy..." then "press enter to exit", do so to close this instance of the agent.

Automatic syncing:

To have copy sync your files when you start your computer, put the following code in a file called sync.bat and stick it in your startup folder in the start menu:

@echo off
cd "%appdata%\copy"
copyconsole

Note that this will have it's own window that will show you the statistics of how much data is being synced. If you close this, you will kill the agent and will have to either reboot or run the sync file again to continue syncing.

Mobile apps:

You can use the mobile apps available for android, ios, or most recently windows phone to do the same things that you can do using t he web ui, share folders, download your files, etc.

If you have any questions, either reply to this topic or send me an email, dnl.n...@gmail.com.

Happy syncing