Uncle! Yosemite it is, then.

I'm awfully sorry, Windows apologists, but while I'm perfectly happy using software that gives me flexibility, the fact of the matter is that modern-day Windows is utter crap.

So I've put Yosemite on my iMac. Not a hard choice, of course, given who made the hardware, and who designed the software; I do have that choice, even if I don't have all the new shiny-shiny. This despite the fact that, without question, Apple have lost the functional high ground. The fact is, even now, OS X is a more pleasant, enjoyable, and technically superior OS. It's all very well threatening to leave the platform for Windows, but when you come right down to it, the grass always looks greener than it really is where Windows is concerned. More is not always better. I still need Windows, it's true, but the number of things I need it for is so vanishingly small that, at least for now, I can l ive with it either in a VM or perhaps on my MacBook while I'm not travelling. I still hope, in some half-arsed way, that I will be pleasantly surprised once I've got Windows all set up so that I can escape the clawing grip of Apple's politics and smugness for good, but as long as just looking at the Services list, or Task Scheduler, or the accessibility of Skype and Twitter, or even the mediocre state of developer tools on Windows is enough to make me despondent and frustrated, I don't see it being my primary, full-time desktop OS. Even with the workarounds, and the practised incantations, and the limitations on functionality and apps imposed by Apple's latest buggy release and the way that accessibility is done on the platform, OS X is simply better. I'm sure those on the other side of the fence will disagree; that's fine by me. I get why Apple makes them angry, and respect that, but I don't accept that we should lose the best bits as a conse quence. It's especially ironic for me, I think, because when I first came to Mac, I was just looking for a talking Linux box with apps I could use, and Xcode wasn't even nearly accessible so you were forced onto the command line; now, the clang transition renders it useless for many projects I work with, and yet it's essentially completely accessible while Visual Studio is--what?

So there you go; I have an upgrade path beyond Mountain Lion, and it isn't Windows, on my iMac at least.