Re: Monthly chat February 2015

@Dan,  I think writing reflective essays is part of Theology, I'm not sure but I do remember a friend of mine doing similar, still good to hear part of your course involves visiting a synagogue.

I can't speak for Iron druid sinse though I have some of the books I've not started them yet, but Dark tower is awsome, albeit the first volume isn't the easiest thing to get into being as it's rather slow and a tad aimless. king wrote it when he didn't really have much idea of the world or what he was planning ultimately and unfortunately in the first volume at least it rather shows, things pick up far more in volumes 2 and 3. Still, if your patient you should enjoy it, I particularly remember liking the bleaque landscape and over all feeling of a vast and very weerd world even though i didn't often know much of what was going on when i first started on The Dark tower when I was 13 or so, ---- actually I didn't read volume two for anothe r two or three years, much less anymore, and I only finished the thing a few years ago.

As regards the Culture books by Ian Banks, well if you want some difficult and intreaguing scifi they're definitely worth trying, albeit upon rereading the first, Consider Phlebas is a little hard going in places and has a hugely grim ending as wel as a difficult protagonist to get on with despite being a real action fest. The second, player of games was awsome, I read that quite recently.

The Rnib have the books in audio, actually I was quite amazed they were able to follow through on a scifi series (definitely out of character), but I don't know how easy they would be to access outside the Uk.

Personally I've just started on Patrick rothfus kingkiller. I've not got far enough to really say what is going on or even who the main character is (I'm  literally on chapter two), however I'm loving the writing style and atmosphere.