Programming Artificial intelligence in racing games

The way I was thinking about going about this was like this: just as the player has a random chance of making mistakes, I'd say about 25% on average unless the player is generally not very good, I was thinking about programming my AI the same way. If it encountered an obstacle, there would only be a 74 to 79% chance that it would actually swerve out of the way. I want to make this as random and inconsistent as possible, since that is usually the case for humans themselves. Would a random chance variable or something affectively increase the ballence between players and computer AI?